Re: Usability suggestion : completion for M-:

From: paul r
Subject: Re: Usability suggestion : completion for M-:
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:19:51 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>     For what it's worth, I'm a bit annoyed by Emacs's inconsistent use of
>     TAB: in minibuffers, TAB behaves like in terminals to mean "complete",
>     where in normal buffers it usually means "indent".
>

> There aren't enough convenient keys, so we have to do this overloading.

How necessary is it today to have *by default* C-i bound to TAB (and
C-m bound to RET). This is a real honnest question, I'm wondering if
some terms have hard-bound C-i etc. Please note that I really like
C-m, because RET is just to far away from my right hand. But TAB and
C-i are equaly accessible. In case it is not hard-bound on some
systems emacs runs on, how about using one for indent and the other
for completion ? That could allow to have a consistent behaviour
across modes.

-- paul