Re: should frame names be unique?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: should frame names be unique?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:23:06 -0400

> It is not the best design to have multiple frames with the
> same name. When you choose a frame by its name via the
> minibuffer or a menu, it's possible to see duplicate names
> that represent different frames - there is then no way to
> know which name corresponds to which frame.

Try

  (setq frame-title-format
        '(multiple-frames ("F"
                           (:eval (number-to-string
                                   (length (memq (selected-frame)
                                                 (frame-list)))))
                           " %b")
                          ("" invocation-name "@" system-name)))

I'm not opposed to making frame names unique, but first, I'd like to
hear about the use-cases where it matters.

I.e. what uses of frame-names are we talking about
(select-frame-by-name?  The Frames menu?)?
What is the difference between those frames showing the same buffer
(is it just to display two different parts of a buffer, if so do the
various frames play different roles?  Are they on different screens?
Can you see their names in the title bar? ...)

        Stefan