RE: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:36:18 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > Unless someone can characterize the problem more concretely
 > and cite an Outlook preference setting that takes care of
 > it, I guess you'll have to take up the problem with Devil
 > Gates. Tell him that his mail client is misbehaving.

No need to.  It's well-known that Outlook is non-conforming in several
ways, and I for one believe it to be deliberate sabotage of
non-Outlook, non-Exchange mail systems based on the huge market
penetration that "Lookout" behavior has achieved based on "Lookout,
Excess!" being distributed as part of the OS.

However, in the case of the Mail-Followup-To header, ignoring it is
conforming to the existing standards (including the standards-track
RFCs)[1], unless you have agreed in advance to respect it.  Neither
you nor Bill have done so, so Dan is out of luck.

Nevertheless-friends-don't-let-friends-use-Outlook-ly y'rs,

Footnotes:
[1]  To the best of my knowledge, which is somewhat dated at this
point, but is corroborated by a search of the RFC database.