Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:33:57 -0400

>> In Eclipse, a list of tabs is associated with a specific window
>> and each tab selects a buffer in that window.
>>
>> That seems to be the natural feature for tabs.
>> Would someone like to implement window tabs as a UI feature?

> I might be missing something, but isn't tabbar.el sufficient?

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TabBarMode

It might be a good idea to include this in Emacs.
We should be able to place a tabbar at any level of the window-tree by
placing the tabbars inside their own window.  I.e. a frame-level tabbar
(to allow switching between different window-configurations) could be
obtained by slitting the frame as

   +-----------------------------+
   |  single-line tabbar window  |
   +------------+----------------+
   |  window    |     other      |
   |            |    window      |

Of course, this may require some tweaks to work right: e.g. C-x 1 should
not throw away the tabbar.

-- Stefan