Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:55:55 -0400

> The doc-string of `window-min-height' states

> *Delete any window less than this tall (including its mode line).
> The value is in line units.

> Hence it's certainly not a bug.

I do think it's a misfeature: Emacs is a bit trigger happy with windows.
When resizing frames/windows, I believe it should generally try to avoid
deleting windows when possible.  Patches in this direction are welcome
(we have already improved this, e.g. by replacing the C-x + code, with
the introduction of adjust-window-trailing-edge, ...).

> One aspect that puzzles me is why, when `window-min-height' equals 1,
> Emacs doesn't simply display the window's modeline.

Between the header-line, the mode-line, and the buffer text itself,
Emacs assumes here that it's more important to show the buffer text.
It may not always be the best choice, but it does make sense.

> Another problem is that Emacs doesn't record window sizes accross
> (de-)maximizations.  Hence in your ediff control panel example you'd
> have to fix the window-height at 1 in order to handle re-maximization as
> intended :-(

I'm not sure what better behavior you're thinking of.

        Stefan