Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:18:09 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
But that's beside the point.  Yes, David, you are different from the
majority of beginning users of editors these days.  That is, they
want their editor to have no learning curve at all.  It should start
out easy, and stay easy, and do things for them.  They do not want to
learn anything about the editor.

I don't think it is true that they never want to learn anything, there would be no point in switching to anything from notepad if that was the case. But beginning users expect to be able to start doing basic text editing without having to learn anything, and gradually learn how to make better use of their chosen tool.

I started using CUA mode many years ago, for the opposite reason of I expect most CUA users. Emacs keybindings were so ingrained that I had trouble using other software, so I decided to train myself to use the CUA bindings. I have honestly never encountered a problem with the CUA keys getting in the way (though I always used PgDn rather than C-v, I could see that one being a problem for some Emacs users).