Re: Obsolete functions and variables

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Obsolete functions and variables
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:06:41 +1200

 > Can we close this discussion?  A more useful one would be to do the work
 > of checking obsoleted functions/variables/packages and see which ones
 > can be removed because they're not used any more.

Which is impossible, of course, as there are many packages such as JDEE, ECB
and Cedet which might use them. The only time we'll know if they are still
used is after their removal when someone complains.

If ten years of byte compiler warnings stating that a variable is obsolete is
not enough to justify its removal, I'll probably spend less time on dealing
with them, not more.