Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:21:40 -0400

> I'm not certain I understand that; make clean removes all the emacs*
> binaries from the build tree and therefore should also remove the then
> useless DOC-* files.  It probably makes sense to reset the build number
> to 1 after that, doesn't it?  Or what do you mean?

Yes, that makes sense.

Note that nowadays it's not even clear there's much point in having
DOC-<vers>: we could just use a single DOC file: Emacs is able to
gracefully react to a DOC file that has been changed.

I've been using such a setup for several years now, and  occasionally it
fails to notice that the file has changed and ends up showing some other
docstring than the one intended, but this is rather rare (it happened to
me recently and I felt like "Wow, so the practice does agree with the
theory after all").

        Stefan