Re: window groups

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: window groups
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:27:25 +0200

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  AFAICT, Joakim's proposal
> requires the application to (set-window-parameter WIN 'group GID) to
> create the group, but after that, I'd expect this parameter to
> be inherited (tho I don't know whether that's implemented or even if he
> intend(s|ed) to do that).  So that'd be similar to your proposal,
> wouldn't it?

Yes.

> BTW: why is it that we do not expose internal windows to Elisp?

I know XEmacs does that.  However, over the past two weeks I was able to
crash Emacs more often than over the past two years.  Practically all
these crashes were due to malformed window-trees.  Hence I suppose
exposing internal windows to Elisp might make it possible to crash Emacs
from Elisp quite easily.

>>More problems will arise as soon as two different applications will
>>attempt to manage their private groups simultaneously in the same
>>Emacs session.
>
> Like...?

... citing Eric Ludlam from an earlier thread:

    What if there is an ECB and a second program like Speedbar, that
    both want to do the same thing.  How do they work together?

    I'd like to know how ECB, and Speedbar can work at the same time,
    without being aware of eachother.  Would the solution really be that
    Speedbar needs some ECB client code?