Re: Mail that shuld not be sent here

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Mail that shuld not be sent here
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:16:29 -0400

    > Here are some examples of the sort of message which the bug tracker
    > is sending to emacs-devel or bug-gnu-emacs. I think it should be
    > fixed to stop sending these messages to those lists.

    The first corresponds to the bug actually being closed; it isn't a
    canned mail, but the concatenation of the original report,

I thought of it as canned because the text seems to be pretty
much the same every time.  Thanks for the correction.

The point is, please don't send those messages to bug-gnu-emacs.

    The second message is the ack from the control bot, which is the only
    way you'd know whether or not this bug had been closed, marked
    wontfix, reopened, unarchived, etc.

There is no reason to tell everyone on bug-gnu-emacs how this bug has
been marked.  Please don't send those messages to bug-gnu-emacs.

    However, in my experience, they're all information that people
    involved in tracking bugs really want to know about,

Most of the readers of bug-gnu-emacs are not involved in tracking bugs
this way.  Those that are involved can easily put themselves on the
list to receive those messages.

    All of these can be easily excluded using procmail or similar by
    filtering out messages with X-Emacs-Pr-Message: closed and

I am sure that is true, but it makes no sense to make a lot of people
go to this trouble.  Sending this mail to bug-gnu-emacs is a bad
default.

Please send it to some other list instead.