RE: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:38:55 -0700

> > No discussion here (AFAICT)? How do such "experiments" get
> > implemented without any proposal and discussion?
>
> I proposed the change on emacs-devel on April 26th 2008 and Stefan
> gave it the go-ahead:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg01877.html

Sorry, I didn't notice it. I remember reading that, but I didn't grasp the
consequences.

> > This changes long-standing standard Emacs behavior. It should be
> > reverted.
>
> Well, that's a matter of opinion. The default value of `completion-
> ignore-case' is nil for all other systems bar MS-Windows.

I was mistaken; I forgot about the behavior on non-Windows platforms.

> I agree with you that buffer names are another case, in addition
> to filenames, where MS-Windows systems should do case-insensitive
> completion.

Actually, I think that buffer-name completion and file-name completion should be
treated independently, regardless of the platform.

I think that users should be able to configure their preference for buffer-name
completion, just as they can for file-name completion.

> I think that Emacs on MS-Windows has historically had an exceptional
> default value of t for `completion-ignore-case' precisely to handle
> filename and buffer name completion and that its effect on other
> completions was largely coincidental.

I agree.

> I would like to avoid all completion being case-insensitive on
> MS-Windows.

I would like to give control over that to users, via an option - regardless of
the platform.