Re: bug#21: Scrolling occasionally stops in *compilation*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#21: Scrolling occasionally stops in *compilation*
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:57:00 -0400

>> Any e-mail sent to address@hidden (where XYZ is
>> the bug number) will be CC-ed to bug-gnu-emacs automatically.
>> This is what Stefan did.
>>
>> That is a pain in the neck for everyone on bug-gnu-emacs.

> In what way?

>> It should be cc'd to emacs-bug-tracker instead.

> This is an example of a message which would have normally just been
> sent to bug-gnu-emacs anyway. Think of address@hidden
> as just an alias for bug-gnu-emacs in the case where nnn is a bug is
> in the emacs package.

>> It is good that e-mail sent to address@hidden is
>> CC-ed to bug-gnu-emacs automatically. Simply turning this off
>> would be bad.
>>
>> I don't see anything bad about it.
>> Would you like to try to substantiate that statement?

> If the messages don't go through the bug tracker before they hit
> bug-gnu-emacs, you'd have no clue what bug is being discussed, nor
> where to look to see the followup information, and you additionally
> have to be subscribed to some other mailing list to get any
> information about the bug at all.

> We can easily stop sending all messages to bug-gnu-emacs if we want
> to, but then no messages would go to bug-gnu-emacs at all, not even
> the ones that were originally sent there.

> From what I see, the primary issue is one of the bugs not being
> threaded properly, which Stefan already raised with me, and is
> http://bugs.debian.org/485697

I'm afraid there's a little misunderstanding, here.  I believe Richard
is not opposed to this message going to bug-gnu-emacs.  It was Drew Adams
who complained about it.  I think Drew's complaint is that the message is
out-of-context because I didn't include any References: or
either, he was just annoyed at this particular one being useless.

        Stefan