Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:29:39 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:24:21 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 14:02, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It's bootstrapping now with cmd.exe, and is looking fine so far.
>
> Could you please explain, if you have the time, the exact
> configuration you're using to build Emacs? (Which tools, versions,
> etc.)

    D:\gnu\emacs>gcc --version
    gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)

    D:\gnu\emacs>ld --version
    GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040904
    This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

    D:\usr\eli\data>sh -c "echo $ZSH_VERSION"
    3.0.5-nt-beta-0.90

    D:\gnu\emacs>"echo.exe" --version
    echo (GNU coreutils) 5.3.0
    Written by FIXME unknown.

    D:\gnu\emacs>cp --version
    cp (GNU coreutils) 5.3.0
    Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering.

    D:\gnu\emacs>rm --version
    rm (GNU coreutils) 5.3.0
    Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Richard Stallman, and Jim Meyering.

    D:\gnu\emacs>make --version
    GNU Make 3.81
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

    This program built for Windows32

I have MinGW runtime v3.14 and W32 API v3.11.

Make is patched by me, so it's not stock 3.81 (but none of the patches
is related to building Emacs, so it shouldn't matter).  sh.exe is an
old port of zsh by Amol Deshpande, which I patched to fix a few bad
bugs.  Unfortunately, it only compiles with a Microsoft compiler, I
never had time to express its fork emulation in a way that GCC and ld
will grok.

To test a CMD build, I just rename sh.exe to something else, as I
already wrote.

I think that's it.  If you need to know something else, please ask.

> > Yes, but.  MSYS is actually a fork of Cygwin, and behaves very similar
> > to it.  Specifically, in this case it supports the jobserver method of
> > running parallel jobs, which is not yet implemented in the native
> > Windows build.  So with MSYS Make, you don't need to use the XMFLAGS
> > trick (although using it shouldn't hurt).
>
> Well, I've been unable to bootstrap Emacs, parallel or not, using
> --win32 aniway. It does work, though, using --unix.

You shouldn't need to use --win32.