Re: pgg-gpg.el - pgg-gpg-process-region timing problem

From: ken manheimer
Subject: Re: pgg-gpg.el - pgg-gpg-process-region timing problem
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:01:50 -0400

[i've removed emacs-pretest-bug@ from the recipients - it was my
mistake to continue to cc that address in my correspondence about this
problem...]

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>> i am not sure how to proceed with this problem.  as demonstrated by
>> the pggprob.el script, i consistently get encryption and decryption
>> problems without the contrived delay in my pgg-gpg-process-region
>> patch.  (the problem does not happen if i just do a regular
>> pgg-decrypt - i think the crucial thing is that a symmetric passphrase
>> is being passed into pgg-gpg-process-region.)
>
> Here's one suggestion, though I don't know how useful it is: if it's
> possible to run the same or similar version of pgg in Emacs 22, you
> could and see if it appears there.  If not, we could narrow the problem
> down to a change in Emacs' process code during Emacs 23 (though OTOH I
> don't know of any that could lead to this).

this is certainly worth trying.

it brings me to a feeble question - is there a stable CVS tag for
checkout of the currently released emacs version?  i see MAIN and
EMACS_22_BASE, neither of which is very descriptive.  (MAIN is too
generic to draw any conclusions, and EMACS_22_BASE sounds like
something that is built upon, not a destination in itself.)  have i
missed one?

(i know this is a digression, but i feel lost in a twisty maze of
passages, trying to find an authoritative listing of the most
significant emacs CVS repository tags.  i couldn't find anything in
the emacs project site on savannah or in the emacs wiki.  seems like
it would be useful to have such a listing associated with the
project!)
--
ken
http://myriadicity.net