Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:56:16 -0400

> However, for the other case, we need traverse upwards until we don't
> find the directory, returning the last one that does. As it stands, if
> we don't find the directory we look, we return wherever we started
> searching, which is incorrect.

It's not incorrect at all.  It's how CVS and Svn work.  They don't have
a "root directory".  you may have /foo/baqr/CVS and /foo/CVS, but it
doesn't mean /foo is the root: the two may be simply unrelated.

I.e. it's tryuing to invent something that's simply not there.  No other
CVS or Svn front-end does that as far I know.  The user specifies the
root he wants to use when it starts vc-dir: Emacs doesn't need to
guess it.

I.e. VC's "root dir" is not something for the UI but something for
internal use, fpor those backends that need it (and indeed, it didn't
exist when VC only supported CVS, RCS, and SCCS).

        Stefan