RE: isearch in Dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch in Dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:52:18 -0700

> The other comment I have is that I'd like to be able to
> toggle the kind of search from within isearch.  Currently
> within `isearch', we have M-c, M-r to toggle the case
> sensitivity and the use of regexps, and it would
> make sense to provide additional such toggles for "word
> search" (tho it might rather be folded into the
> regexp-toggle since there are really only 3 possible
> states, not 4), and (in dired buffers) toggle-filename
> and in some other buffers, other such things would make
> sense. We should come up with a prefix key in isearch to
> replace M-c and M-r and to give us space for extra toggles.

Sounds like a fair amount of specialization of Isearch, just for Dired...

Did Rob Giardina's dired-details stuff ever get added to Emacs (July 2007)? I
thought it had been merged in, but I don't find anything in the UI or doc about
it (e.g. which keys to hide/show? menu items?).

With that feature, normal Isearch gives you everything you need in this regard:
just hide all but the file names to search only for file names, then show all
other fields again, if you like. The normal Isearch toggles (e.g.
case-sensitivity) apply.

(I'm not necessarily against also adapting Isearch for Dired. This was mainly a
question about what happened to the dired-details stuff.)