Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 02:06:39 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>> I just deleted a file because I misunderstood dired. I needed that file
>> (of course).
>>
>> And then I found that dired did not make any backup and did not use
>> windows Recycle bin.
>>

> Of course not. The Recycle Bin is part of the Explorer shell, not a
> fundamental part of deleting files on the OS. If you go to a command
> prompt and type "del filename.txt" it will not use the Recycle Bin
> either, and nor will most other programs that delete files from outside
> of the Explorer shell.

I am not sure but I would expect most programs to use the Recycle Bin.

> However, someone submitted a patch some time ago to move files to the
> desktop's trash which works on Windows and with the common convention
> used by Gnome, KDE and Mac OSX. To use it you need to set
> `delete-by-moving-to-trash'.

Thanks. Wouldn't it be good to have this as a default.

>> This behaviour does not make me trust for example GNU/Linux.
>
> That is a strange statement, since you are not even using GNU/Linux.

Not so very strange. I just reflect that I get upset by this ;-)

Also from the point of view that we have had quite a few discussions
about the usefulness of having a program behave as a user expects on
that OS. As an example let me tell me what happened. I am rather unused
to dired though I use it sometimes.

However now I was a bit stressed and in that situation I fallback to
expect the behaviour I am used too. That is what you psychologically do
in those situations, there is nothing strange with that, but it is easy
to overlook the importance of it.

So I expected

- The Recycle Bin to be used.
- When I marked some files in dired I expected those files to be deleted
by D, not the file I happened to be positioned on. That is what
selection normally mean.

None of these expectation where of course true. I am quite sure I am not
the only user that has fallen into traps like these in stressed situations.

So I would say: Do what you user expect in the used environment. This is
more important the more experienced the user is because of the habits
that you actually use without thinking in stressed situations.