Re: Files that begin with a period

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Files that begin with a period
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:39:38 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:07:44 -0400
>
> > I installed today in several Lisp files, including in the `lisp/org'
> > directory, changes that run file names which supply values to
> > defcustom's through `convert-standard-filename'.  This is for when
> > Emacs runs on 8+3 (a.k.a. DOS) filesystems that do not allow file
> > names with a leading period.  (On modern filesystems,
> > `convert-standard-filename' leaves the file name intact.)
>
> It would probably be good to try and use user-emacs-directory for those
> file names.

Sorry, I don't understand what would that solve.  I'm talking about
defcustom's such as this one:

    (defcustom org-id-locations-file
      (convert-standard-filename "~/.org-id-locations")
       "The file for remembering the last ID number generated."
       :group 'org-id
       :type 'file)

(Originally, the call to convert-standard-filename wasn't there.)

The file in question is in the user's home directory, but the problem
is not the directory, it's the name of the file itself.

What am I missing?