Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:22:26 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 14:40, dhruva <address@hidden> wrote:

> Recipe for reproducing the problem:
>
> 1. Start emacs with server
> 2. Use emacsclient to open a file (with -n option not to wait)
> 3. Start another emacs with server
> 4. Use emacsclient as in #2 (it will open in emacs on #3 for me)
> 5. Kill emacs started in #3
> 6. Use emacsclient and you get the error!

Using the trunk's emacsclient I cannot even do 2, because I get an error:

  emasclient: could not get terminal name

But other than that, your problem is not related to recent changes in
the trunk. You're overwriting the default TCP authentication file
~/.emacs.d/server/server. If you start several servers simultaneously,
you must give them different `server-name's.

> I think we should use some UDP based discovery of running emacs if it is not
> too tough...

You'll open the door to complexity and race conditions for little gain IMHO.

  Juanma