Re: emacsclient's option decoding code

From: mail
Subject: Re: emacsclient's option decoding code
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:29:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>>
>> :0.0 may be miles away from the user's eyes, so if $DISPLAY fails,
>> better signal an error and let the user manually switch to :0.0 if
>> that's what he wants to do.
>
> If :0.0 is miles away, there's no difference between an error and
> display miles away: in both cases, the user needs to fix something and
> reinvoke.  What I suggest is better because if :0.0 is NOT miles away,
> it does TRT, while erroring does not.

if :0.0 is miles away, the user almost certainly *doesn't* want to pop
up random windows on it. On the other hand, if it's right next to him,
he can quite easily set DISPLAY and try again. If the environment of
emacsclient doesn't include a DISPLAY, then emacsclient should not
arbitrarily use another DISPLAY.

--
The steady state of disks is full.
                -- Ken Thompson