Re: Reviewing changes

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Reviewing changes
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:25:23 +0200

Karl Fogel wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > ChangeLog changes arriving separately is just a particular case of a
> > more general phenomenon: that each file's changes arrive separately,
> > even if they all belong to the same changeset.  CVS simply doesn't
> > support anything else.  But you already knew that, I'm sure.
>
> I thought log-accum.pl was the answer to this, in CVS-land?  (It's been
> a long time since I set up a CVS repository, so my memory might be
> faulty...)  IIRC, log-accum at least sends one email for all the changes
> in a given directory, which would cover the common case for us.  That
> would be much better than the current situation, even if not perfect.

The log_accum.pl script used by Savannah by default sends all of the
changes (summary + commit message + diffs) in one email even if the
commit touches files in different directories (like [1]).  Note that
with the recent size limit that was set up for lists.gnu.org by the
GNU sysadmins, some messages are not delivered if the diffs are too
large.

The Emacs case is special (two separate lists and single-file chanages
even if the files were committed enbloc), and probably was requested
by the maintainers long time ago for consistency with the policy that
was in place until recently.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/trans-coord-devel/2008-11/msg00005.html