Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:19:36 -0400

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
is able to scroll a large file (for example, lisp/ChangeLog) keeping up with the keyboard typematic rate without breaking a sweat. Emacs 23 is
unable and every now and then resorts to recentering (which I hate).

Is this in "emacs -Q"?

Not in my case, although I'm using the same setup in 22 and 23.

Anyway, is the slow-down you see close to the OP's reported factor of
almost 3?  Or is it just slow-down?

Note that the most dramatic changes are due to my header line (tabbar) and also face remapping:

(setq face-remapping-alist nil header-line-format nil)

(NB, I have backported the face remapping functionality to 22, so I believe am comparing like for like.)

Without face-remapping and header line, I estimate the slowdown is about 20% for me, a noticeable difference.