Re: Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:12:41 +0300

Jan Djärv wrote:
> They can always compile without GConf if they want.

But it would be a pity to sacrifice better GNOME integration just for
the sake of non-GNOME users.  Emacs is currently a GTK+ application,
but such a change would make it (optionally) a GNOME app.  That's
perfect for GNOME users (which should be the primary concern, I agree)
and bad for others.

I guess the only viable choice for such distributors would be to
introduce another flavor -- GNOME (the default), and -gtk (with
stripped GConf support), similar to the way AbiWord, Dia, and many
other GNOME/GTK+ applications are shipped as binary packages.  The
drawback is that there are too many Emacs flavors already, and this
adds more to the downstream maintenance burden.

(Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not an Emacs developer so I
can't possibly even oppose such a change.  And I'm not actually
opposing it; I've been a GNOME user since the 0.30 release more than a
decade ago, so your intention is excellent news to me.  I'm just
curious about the details of the implementation and the impact on the
"binary" distros.)