Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Adam Wołk
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:47:19 +0200

Dnia 21-07-2009 o 21:33:33 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> napisał(a):

There are some users of Emacs (like me) that never use these key
bindings since we prefer Viper. So we would really want a combination
of vi+emacs keybindings in other applications too.

I saw this question recently on the conkeror mailing list.
It seems that there are no ready to use bindings or modes for people who prefer vim key bindings but I believe that this could be implemented (at least partially?).

Below are some quotes from the conkeror mailing list archives:

quote from http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.conkeror/1580 :
Some vi-like search bindings:

  define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "/", "isearch-forward");
  define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "?", "isearch-backward");
define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "n", "isearch-continue-forward"); define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "N", "isearch-continue-backward");

The commands isearch-continue-[forward/backward] are bound on S and R
by default, and you may just want to use those unless you are planning
to make a whole new binding set.

open link in new buffer with F instead of C-u f

  define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "F", "follow-new-buffer");

quote from http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.conkeror/1587 :
Thanks for the tips. I understand that conkeror could be made to behave like vimperator by changing keybindings. What I actually wanted to know is if it is possible to make conkeror "completely" behave like Vimperator "only" by changing the keybindings or does one need to do more than that (for example,
some deeper hacking)?

Changing key bindings will likely get you much of the way to vimperator,
but it will indeed not get you an exact clone of vimperator.  For one
thing, not all UI decisions are represented as key binding choices, and
for another, there are some features in vimperator not supported in
Conkeror (though also some things in Conkeror not supported in
Vimperator).

I would think that changing the key bindings would be mostly sufficient,
though.