Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:21:24 -0600

>>>>> "Tassilo" == Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Tassilo> But the newest package might not run on an older emacs version.
Tassilo> So it would be good if package.el would show the latest version
Tassilo> of a package that is supposed to work with my emacs version,
Tassilo> and if it requires other packages, then their versions have to
Tassilo> be taken into account, too.  Does it do something like that?

Right now, package.el defines a dummy package named "emacs" with a
version computed in the obvious way.  A package can then declare a
dependency on a minimum version of Emacs.

I forget offhand what exactly package.el does here.  I think it won't
let you install a package whose emacs dependency is not met (it has been
a while since I hacked on this so I don't remember its exact behavior).

In any case, it definitely won't activate such a package (you could get
one installed, for instance, by running Emacs 23, installing something,
and then running Emacs 21).

Tom