Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:10:12 +0200

>     > What happens if the file whose line point is on gets renamed?  That
>     > seems like a mergeable difference, but you might be a bit surprised to
>     > see the line move to some other position in the buffer.
>
>     Most file managers automatically update changed files and that
>     doesn't surprise users.
>
> The precise details of display format can have a big effect on whether
> the update bothers users, and how much.
>
> Ultimately, the only way to judge whether it bothers users too much
> is to try it.  But we should POLL THE USERS before enabling it by default.

I think that any updates should try to keep the line that point is in
under point, preferably at the same window position.  In that case
editing would not usually be disrupted, just navigation.  Any unsaved
editing operation in progress can continue as long as the file name
identity is not changed (if the file disappears, that would be reason to
throw an error and abort pending editing changes on that line).

--
David Kastrup