Re: Mode line menus

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Mode line menus
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 21:42:08 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:06:19 -0500
>
> Currently, the menus accessible from the mode-line (e.g. by clicking on
> the major mode name) are bound to down-mouse-1.  Therefore, you have to
> hold down the mouse button after clicking the menus.  Releasing the
> mouse button immediately dismisses the menu, selecting the item the
> cursor was on (if any).

This is toolkit-dependent, I think.  At least, on MS-Windows it
doesn't happen (i.e. the menu stays on even after you release
mouse-1).  The same happens on MS-DOS and I think with native
non-toolkit menus (on X without a toolkit) as well.

> I'd like to switch to the standard behavior.

Which is what? that you can release the button without the menu
popping down?  I won't mind that, but please make sure your code works
in a non-toolkit build.