Re: C-j considered harmful (not really)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-j considered harmful (not really)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:54:04 +0200

>    >> That key should be used in I-search with the same meaning as C-j has
>    >> now, and should
>    >> be possible to use instead of C-q C-j to enter a newline in minibuffer
>    >> input. Maybe
>    >> <C-return> could be used for this?
>    >
>    > How about M-RET instead? That works in non-windowed Emacs as well and
>    > seems to be unbound by default.
>
>    In IM clients, S-RET inserts newline, and RET accepts input.
>
> Does it work in -nw environment ? Here S-RET is not recognized in
> my session (GNU Emacs running in the linux console).

I think most users including newbies that are unaware of `C-q C-j'
use Emacs on a window system anyway, so they would benefit from S-RET
that is a standard key to insert newline instead of accepting input
in other programs.

We have the same duality with the S-TAB key.  On a terminal, we provide
an alternative `ESC TAB'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/