Re: Failure in building CVS Emacs [xsettings] and other

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Failure in building CVS Emacs [xsettings] and other
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:56:34 +0100

Jan Djärv skrev:
Angelo Graziosi skrev:
If with that option I set Monospace, Regular, 10, the result is *different* from what I see in Konsole or my previous build. And after this, recalling 'Options | Set Default Font' shows always Sans, Regular, 12, i.e. it does not reflect the new choice.

K910
====
Similar results. Only

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft

is empty.

It seems that these new features added to Emacs, after 20091114, make its look a little bad.

I think the problem is that now Emacs takes fontconfig defaults into account. That means that it uses hintslight (i.e. very little hinting). You probably have set (or KDE sets) hintmedium or hintfull.

When I run Kubuntu 9.10, I get hintslight on all apps, KDE and Emacs. I have changed so Emacs defaults to hintmedium if XSETTINGS aren't found, as is the case for KDE (unless xsettings-kde is installed).

        Jan D.