Re: Making the tarball with bzr data

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Making the tarball with bzr data
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:35:59 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM, grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> If I already have all the Emacs files locally (possibly with some
>>> changes) how do I do to make this a bazaar thing? (This must be the
>>> most common situation, or?)
>>
>> In any case you need to get the official emacs bazaar repository
>> first.
>

> Thanks grischka. I believe you, but this seems just crazy to me.

Why?

> What are the reasons for this limitation?

How is that a limitation?

Let me guess. You are thinking on the CVS checkout you have with all
those patches for EmacsW32, right?

Well, a brute force solution is to setup your personal bzr Emacs branch
and then simply copy everything from your CVS checkout over the bzr
branch, or in Windows parlance, copy the contents of the folder
lennarts_CVS_checkout over lennarts_bzr_branch, overwriting
everythin. You can remove the CVS directories on the bzr branch, as they
would be useless once the switch at Savannah is complete.

It is a pity that you had no bzr at the time when EmacsW32 was started:
you could keep a clean history of the applied patches and publish the
branch on something like launchpad or from your webserver. At least, you
can start taking advantage from bzr since now: instead of having a
checkout with lots of patched files, once you copy them over the bzr
branch commit the changes:

bzr commit -m "All modifications I have so far"

Since this, for applying a new patch:

bzr commit -m "Fixes foo"

Speaking as somebody who is interested on your modifications, it would
be great if you could start from a pristine Emacs working tree and
commit one patch at a time, with a descriptive commit message, then
publish the branch :-)

I'm willing to help you (and anybody else) on the transition to bzr, but
please be more specific when describing the problems you are foreseeing.

--
Óscar