Re: reversion revulsion

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: reversion revulsion
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:57:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> No, I was talking about the same thing as you were, I am just confused
> as to where the "revert --forget-merges" command should be run.  I
> thought it should be run in the local branch, before merging it into
> the trunk.  You seem to say that it should be run in the trunk _after_
> merging the branch into it, is that right?

Yes.

>> This brings another detail: if --forget-merges is used when you send the
>> changes from quickfixes to upstream via trunk, you need to reset the
>> quickfixes branch afterwards, because the next time you merge from
>> quickfixes it will include the previous revisions.
>
> "Reset" how?  Shouldn't this be added to the wiki page?

Reset here means to remove from quickfixes/ the changes you merged into
trunk/ applying --forget-merges before the commit. AFAIK, the most
simple way is to simply delete quickfixes/ and recreate it. Expensive, I
know. Another way is to use `bzr uncommit -r <something> && bzr revert'
where <something> is the right revision spec. Maybe it is too cumbersome
to use with the recommended distributed workflow.

--forget-merges works better with the "simulated git colocated branches"
that Juanma is using. There, you simply delete the branch once its
changes are integrated upstream.

--
Óscar