Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:17:01 +0100

Paul R <address@hidden> writes:

> The performance of those engines has gotten surprisingly good, and is
> still improving at a very fast rate.

It is nowhere near workable for large documents.  Not web pages,
documents.

> I would be interested to have some real-case benchmarks. In the
> meantime I pasted the whole wikipedia article into
> http://ckeditor.com/demo then edited some text in the middle of the
> page. It was not blazing fast to be honnest, but still usable on my 10
> years old hardware.

Uh, Emacs needs to work without noticeable delays and with syntax
highlighting for documents of _book_ size, easily containing thousands
of pages.  In fact, the size of the total document should not affect
editing speed.  And we are not just talking "editing" or fixed documents
here: run-off compilation/log output needs to be fast.

--
David Kastrup