Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:21:06 +0200

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:02:28 Davis Herring wrote:

> > See the problem - the user must start reading from the second line.
>
> What is the alternative?  (What you proposed later in your message doesn't
> address this case to my understanding.)  Perhaps you would want this?
>
>  +-------------------------------+
>  |name2 1234 catag2 ED-GNOL-YREV\|
>  |                     NOITPIRCS |
>  +-------------------------------+

No. I want this:
   +-------------------------------+
   |name2 1234 catag2 ED-GNOL-YREV\|
   |NOITPIRCS                      |
   +-------------------------------+

And again, the same in R2L direction:
   +-------------------------------+
   |ED-GNOL-YREV name2 1234 catag2\|
   |                      NOITPIRCS|
   +-------------------------------+

And the logical text "VERY-LONG-DESCRIPTION name2 1234 catag2"
would be rendered (R2L paragraph):
   +-------------------------------+
   |/name2 12 NOITPIRCSED-GNOL-YREV|
   |                      34 catag2|
   +-------------------------------+

This how it is done in Hebrew newspapers and in HTML, and this is how
Hebrew readers are used to it (of course newspapers and HTML don't
breaks words, but that is the only difference).

e.g.
http://www.cancer.org.il/template_site2/default.asp?textSearch=&maincat=15&catid=368&pageid=3331&innerparentId=4361
look for "nutrition and physical" and see how the English title is
broken into 2 lines and is right justified.

I wish more users who uses Hebrew routinely will take part in this
discussion.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign