Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:56:27 -0400

    If people are unfamiliar with `delete-selection-mode' and do not want to
make it
    the default behavior, fine. But please do not mess with the behavior of
    `delete-selection-mode'. It does not need to be "fixed".

If some users like `delete-selection-mode' as it stands, there is no
reason to change it.

This discussion was started as a response to requests from beginners.
Enabling `delete-selection-mode' by default was proposed as a way to
satisfy them.  But if we change the default, we don't have to use
`delete-selection-mode'.  We could use something different for this
purpose if it is more suitabe.