Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Tweaking t-m-m to make room for d-s-m
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:17:58 -0700

>>>    - It is not as easy to type for `undo' if your are used to using C-z for
>>> that.
>>>
>>> C-z has never been an undo command in Emacs
>>> so Emacs users are not used to typing C-z for that.
>>
>> That conclusion is not valid.
>>
>> I think most Emacs users are today at least using also a web browser
>> where C-z means undo while editing.
>
> Which doesn't necessarily mean they want it in Emacs.  At least for
> me, C-z scrolls the window by one line:
>
> (global-set-key "\C-z" (function (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-up 1))))
>
> I use this in Emacs by far more often than `undo'.

Can we at least agree that default keybindings are more likely intended
for new users than for dedicated emacs hackers?

Personally, I bind control-z to a keymap of customized bindings/functions,
but that doesn't mean that I don't see at least *some* value in making it
match typical keybindings in basically every OS/UI currently used.

I would suggest that this change is too deep for an emacs 23 point release,
though.  If we can get a workable `upgrade system' (currently being
discussed in another thread) for dealing with new features in place for
emacs 24, that seems like a better time to consider defaults like CUA
bindings, don't you think?

*Chad