Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:00:57 +0200

>> One complication is that window configurations would
>> have to store the buffer stack and all buffer references.
>
> Yes, window configurations have to store the buffer stack.
> Like frame configurations store the buffer list,
> there is no problem with that.

In a list structure we'd store buffer names and have to resolve the
known ambiguities.

> `set-window-buffer' could add its buffer to the stack only when
> it is different than a buffer on the top of the stack.

That's obvious.

> A problem
> may occur when `set-window-buffer' is used to set a buffer
> temporarily.  Perhaps `set-window-buffer' should have a new argument
> (e.g. NO-RECORD) to not change the stack in this case.

I suppose we need the extra argument also to specify whether the buffer
should go to the top or the bottom of the stack.  For example,
`quit-window' and `replace-buffer-in-windows' must be able to make sure
that the buffer goes to the bottom where it's the most unlikely
candidate to be shown again.  Otherwise, I might end up cycling through
a subset of the stacked buffers only when I continuously try to pop
items from it (via some `other-window-buffer' function, say).

On the other hand, when `display-buffer' reuses a window to show another
buffer in it, the old buffer should go to the top of the stack instead,
thus becoming the most likely candidate to be shown again.

martin