Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 22:47:00 +0300

>> They implement tab-local buffer-list by modifying the frame-local
>> buffer-list after switching the tab.
>
> Could you please explain in one or two sentences?  Where can I find the
> source of these tab-bars?

Please see for example in the branch x-tabs/lisp/tab.el.

>> The tab-bar functions implemented by Lisp packages use
>> `modify-frame-parameters' to change `buffer-list' frame parameter.
>
> But wouldn't it make more sense to have tab-bar use its own list?

Yes, it makes sense to have the following composite buffer-list:

 window-local buffer-list
 tab-local buffer-list
 frame-local buffer-list
 global buffer-list
 frame-local buried-buffer-list
 tab-local buried-buffer-list
 window-local buried-buffer-list

But how would you implement tab-local buffer-list without modifying
frame-local buffer-list?

> Can tab-bar live with the fact that a user switches buffers without
> using tab-bar and thus `select-window' changes the list?

A user can switch buffers inside the same tab - this modifies the
frame-local (tab-local) buffer-list.  A user can switch tabs without
using tab-bar - this updates the frame-local (tab-local) buffer-list
with the buffer-list of another tab.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/