Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:40:44 +0200

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 02:28, Lennart Borgman
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I told you at that time how to do the merge. You seemed to believe it
>> could be done another way.
>
> Yes, you told me "here's my code, please adapt it to the trunk, as I
> don't have time to do it myself" (not exact quote, but that's the
> feeling).

OK, that is your impression, but not my intention. As I told you then
I was/am unused to cvs and did not want to break anything in the
repository or make things more difficult.

We both wanted to make the merge. I suggested to make it stepwise by
changing the function arguments the way I needed them for the new
structure. It would have made the burden of merging easier, but I was
not able to convince you of that.  To still make it a bit easier I
restructured the code so that a similar implementation could be used
on all platform. I got no feedback on that either. Somewhere there I
gave up. I realized I did not have time and I thought it be better to
spend the time I had on nXhtml.

And since such small changes I had proposed for emacsclient and for
the menu system, key board etc where so difficult to get accepted I
decided to try to work around the difficulties in Emacs for using
multi major modes rather than proposing here changes that would have
made it easier. I just did not had time to take the discussion since
these parts are much more difficult.

So all this had big consequences for me.

>> Maybe you are right, but to me the way you
>> wanted to do it looked like much more work. I ran out of time.
>
> No, what I wanted was not more work. It was the same amount of work,
> but mostly done by you, instead of me.

Maybe the big problem was that I did not commit this myself. It looks
to me the amount of work trying to make it this way is several times
bigger than trying to cooperate like this. By that I do not mean
anyone of us where doing something especially wrong or that we did not
try hard enought. Just that this type of cooperation means much more
work.

So I suggest we just give up on this here. I may or may not find time
to switch to savannah from launchpad to do the merge myself. I am not
sure, it depends a lot of what will happen in other areas of my life.
Or someone else may find the time to look into how I structured this
and do the merge. Or someone might redo it from scratch. All I hope is
that this can be done. I do not really care how. I just realize our
efforts so far have been unsuccessful.

>> Take for example the recent discussion about the display engine. There
>> was too many misunderstandings so in the end I thought it was best to
>> just drop it.
>
> I remember the discussion. I got the feeling the misunderstandings
> were mainly on your part.

Really? Did you read my explanation then? (It is not important to me,
but still I get irritated if the bug I was looking at gets ignored
because of misunderstandings.)