Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 05:13:40 +0200

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> Obviously we remember it quite differently. Let's drop the issue.

Fine with me.

>> Maybe the big problem was that I did not commit this myself.
>
> Only if trying to reach consensus is seen as a big problem...

I was not talking of that problem. So it is not about that.

>> Just that this type of cooperation means much more
>> work.
>
> Much more work than what?

Than when you do the commits yourself.

> You're basically saying that you can't be
> bothered to spend time discussing changes, so the answers you see are,
> either other people spends the time, or you commit the changes even if
> you suspect they wouldn't likely be accepted as is, or in some cases
> you know they are actively opposed.

Not at all. I am talking about the technical difficulties with cooperation.

> I'm glad to see you put it that way, because in most previous
> ocassions (including the one that triggered my intervention here) you
> said that you had patch X or Y but the developers weren't interested
> on them...

It has sometimes seemed so to me, but looking back I think it is more
about our limited resources.

>> Really? Did you read my explanation then? (It is not important to me,
>> but still I get irritated if the bug I was looking at gets ignored
>> because of misunderstandings.)
>
> Misunderstanding is the operating word here. After a while, I find
> your posts in some given thread harder and harder to follow.

I often try to explain on another level if the previous message was
not understood because it seems to me that this is necessary.

I am not sure what the problem is. With some people here I find it
very easy to communicate. With some it is quite hard.