Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:44:05 -0700

On Jul 16, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> I want to use Qt. The easiest way for that is to use C++. There are Qt
> bindings for several languages (Python included) but there are no Emacs
> bindings for them (and if you see potential low-level compatibility
> problems with C++, what can we expect from Python?) I'm thinking on the
> possibility of using a private language of mine, which is very C/C++
> friendly and much more productive than C++. This means less work and
> more fun for me, but it makes very difficult for anybody else to look
> into the project. IMO C++ is the only sensible option.

I think what Eli is trying to tell you is this:

If you use Python, you can use the existing python<->C bridges.  If you use
C++, you can't count on being able to use new /delete or anything that uses
them (which will include a huge chunk of C++, and probably a huge chunk of Qt).

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to communicate the idea ``yeah,
it'll probably be rough, but I'm comfortable with C++ and am willing to try to
make it work''.  Unfortunately, what you're saying is much closer to ``how hard
can it be?'' -- which leads many people (especially programmers) to answer the
question -- and in this case it can be really quite hard.

I hope this helps.
*Chad
P.S. ...who really just wants to see if an emacs that can `do' CSS3 is viable,
but asked a big question and then left the country for two days...