RE: Key bindings proposal

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:13:27 -0700

> > I agree.  After having thought about for a day, I realize
> > that it is a perfectly logical thing to map Windows keys to Meta.
> > It is wasted keyboard real estate otherwise.
> >
> > Juanma, can this go on the TODO list?
>
> If that goes ahead, please make it easy to go back to the current
> configuration. Some keyboards don't have the Windows key(s) on a
> convenient place, if they have it at all.

That would certainly be the _least_ that we could hope for.  I have no objection
to such a feature as an option, but I would not like to see it become the
default for Emacs.

I think the default behavior on Windows is pretty good.  I think Emacs out of
the box should let users use the "Windows" keys (`lwindow', `rwindow') for
something other than Meta (including letting them use it in the regular MS
Windows way).

FWIW: For my personal use I also do this, to allow use of `M-TAB' by Emacs (as
opposed to needing to use `ESC TAB'): (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])

I'm guessing this is less well known than the possibilities provided by options
`w32-alt-is-meta', `w32-pass-alt-to-system', and `w32-recognize-altgr'.
Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't provide an option for this behavior, just to
help users find it easier.