Re: document package.el

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: document package.el
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 19:43:14 -0600

On 8/6/2010 4:42 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

I'd appreciate comments on this patch.

I finally found a little time to write some documentation for
package.el.

Hi Tom,

I just tried package.el for the first time and I like it a lot! This could save me a lot of time googling around trying to find the latest versions.

I have a couple of thoughts:
I am wondering, is there a way to give package.el a list of packages to go download from ELPA and install? I would also want it to use this list to check for new versions of all packages in the list. Either on startup or on command (M-x package-upgrade). Also, on a new installation of Emacs I would just tell it "Go get the packages in the list" and it would recreate my package configuration on that machine. All I need in version control is the list as part of my init.el, instead of putting the entire elpa/ directory under version control and deploying it to the new machine.

Great work!

Christoph