Re: The copyright issue

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: The copyright issue
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 04:35:13 +0200

> The aim of the GNU Project is to win freedom for software users.
> The only way I can relate your message to the issue
> is to interpret it as defeatism.  Please take that somewhere else.
> Whether you think we will succeed or fail is not relevant
> because we are going to try anyway.

Obviously, my thinking does not have "cow super powers".  It would be
wonderful to be able to change the world with just my thinking!

You said that popularity of GNU is not important for you.  This means
that you think that the fact that people just 'use' or 'consume' free
software in not the point.  This is exactly what I meant with my
particular 'acid' sense of humor: people must understand 'why' to use
free software.  This is relevant.

I think you've already succeed in develop free software.  You gave
people the option; this is a big achievement.  But the other half is
initiative and responsibility of the other.  To transgress this barrier
is not respect the other.

Besides, what kind of achievment is to convice people to be free.  It is
contradictory.  What is important is not the "state" but the wish.  And
this is innate of each one.  There is nothing that you can do at this
level.  To assume this is not defeatism, is to be able to live without
fool yourself (what is most people cinically do and call optimism).

Well I know this is not the place to discuss this.  So I take your word
and I will take this somewhere else.  Preferably where each one can say
what really think...  Ops!  This is an Utopia. :)