Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:43:48 +0300

> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:26:13 +0300
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:09:46 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > And why don't you just say "C-x RET t cp862 RET"?  That's what you
> > want -- to send cp862 codes to the terminal, right?
>
> No, I want Hebrew of any kind - DOS(CP862), UNIX (ISO-8862-8) and UTF
> to appear in Hebrew on BOTH text terminals and X.

Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "Hebrew of any kind"?

In Emacs 23 and later, there's only one kind of Hebrew: the Unicode
kind.  All the characters, including Hebrew, are internally
represented as their Unicode codepoints.  When Emacs visits a file
encoded in cp862, it converts the encoded characters into their
Unicode codepoints.  What is delivered to the screen is either some
encoding, like cp862 (in the case of a text terminal), or a glyph from
some font (on GUI terminals).  In both of these cases, Emacs
translates the Unicode codepoints to either the corresponding cp862
etc. codes, or to the codes of the characters in the font used to
display Hebrew.  All that's needed for Emacs to DTRT is (a) that Emacs
knows it is dealing with Hebrew characters, and (b) for text terminals
only, that the terminal encoding is set up according to the encoding
the terminal expects.

Now, what am I missing to understand why you needed to use display
tables?

> In addition I want to use some of the graphic characters of the CP862
> set, again both in text terminal and in X.

These graphic characters are part of Unicode as well (in the U+25XX
block), and Emacs 23 knows how to encode them in cp862, or any other
codepage that supports these characters.  Try "C-x 8 RET 2525 RET" and
see for yourself, it has a valid cp862 encoding.