Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:22:33 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:18:02 +0900

> > > What's the meaning of "literally" when a display table
> > > element is [#xA0]?
>
> > It means that a literal byte 0xA0 is sent to the terminal.
>
> From which document, can we get that interpretation?

That's my understanding of the word "literally".  Plus,
standard-display-8bit worked like that in previous versions of Emacs.
If we mean for it to do something else, we should amend the docstring.

> (aset standard-display-table (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0)
>       (vector (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0)))

Shouldn't standard-display-8bit be modified to use this, instead of
what it does now?  It seems like it was previously used to work around
the terminal encoding, but that fire escape was plumbed in Emacs 23.
Perhaps we should reinstate that feature?

And there's still the question of what to do with the fragment in
standard-display-european-internal that uses standard-display-8bit.
Should it be removed, or should it be rewritten in some way?