Re: building error of latest emacs on Windowxp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: building error of latest emacs on Windowxp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:48:53 -0400

> From: zwz <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:26:17 +0800
>
> I checked out the latest emacs today, and some error came up during
> "make bootstrap":
>
> make[1]: entering directory `/d/git/emacs/lib-src'
> mkdir "oo-spd"
> mkdir "oo-spd/i386"
> echo oo-spd/i386 > stamp_BLD
> echo config.nt has changed. Re-run configure.bat.
> config.nt has changed. Re-run configure.bat.
> exit -1

Is the file nt/config.nt newer than src/config.h?

If so, there's some bug in nt/configure.bat.  Near its end, it tries
to determine whether src/config.h needs to be updated (because
overwriting it will trigger recompilation of all the sources).  Here
is the portion of the script which does that:

  Rem See if fc.exe returns a meaningful exit status.  If it does, we
  Rem might as well avoid unnecessary overwriting of config.h and epaths.h,
  Rem since this forces recompilation of every source file.
  if exist foo.bar del foo.bar
  fc /b foo.bar foo.bar >nul 2>&1
  if not errorlevel 2 goto doCopy
  fc /b config.tmp ..\src\config.h >nul 2>&1
  if errorlevel 1 goto doCopy
  fc /b paths.h ..\src\epaths.h >nul 2>&1
  if errorlevel 0 goto dontCopy

  :doCopy
  copy config.tmp ..\src\config.h
  copy paths.h ..\src\epaths.h

  :dontCopy
  if exist config.tmp del config.tmp

Could you please investigate why this logic fails in your case, and
post the results here?

TIA