Re: configure{.in,} question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: configure{.in,} question
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:15:58 -0400

> From: Julien Danjou <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:47:39 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Sun, Oct 24 2010, Glenn Morris wrote:
>
> > I have wondered whether configure even needs to be in the repository.
>
> Me too. Almost all project I know using which are using autoconf do not
> store the configure file for obvious reasons you cited.
> I really think it's bad practice to store that in the repository.

But doing so makes sure everybody can run the configure script, even
if the version of Autoconf installed on the user's machine has some
bug that affects Emacs.

> It's like you were storing .o files. :)

Not like that at all.  Not every generated file should be omitted.  We
have other generated files in the repository, take a look at
admin/charsets and admin/unidata.  There's nothing wrong with that,
really.