Re: ns-win.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ns-win.el
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:27:33 -0400

>>> On the other hand, they were moved from menu-bar.el TO ns-win.el
>>> during the merge. It was desired to keep these platform-specific
>>> things in the platform-specific file rather than cluttering up
>>> common files, and I've come to agree myself this is the best way.

I can't remember why we moved these menu-bar thingies to ns-win.el, but
I think they're nicer where they are now: these differences are things
we want to stick out like sore-thumbs to remind us of the inconsistencies.

> I don't feel strongly, but having it in ns-win.el makes it clearer
> what is done differently for that platform and keeps the clutter out
> for people reading the common code.  The code isn't that much "work"
> and it's limited to when the NS windowing system is actually used.
> Does it really need to be in DOC file for all builds, or just builds
> that include NS?

Yes, we want to have a single DOC file, identical for all cases.

>>> They are minor, but make a significant difference in making the
>>> menus seem less alien on the platform. On the other hand anything
>>> less minor would deviate too much from the common emacs UI and
>>> confuse users coming from other platforms. They are a compromise,
>>> but a reasonable one.

I think it's usually good to have Emacs follow the platform guidelines.
It's also good to have Emacs be consistent across platforms.  So there's
sometimes a tension here.  Moving the Spell menu seems like a good
decision in this case.  Maybe we could even resolve this difference by
moving the Spell menu for all the platforms (this is a very weak
suggestion: I rarely if ever use the menus, so I have no idea what would
be a good change in this respect).

        Stefan