Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:42:19 +0200

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:57:53 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > makeinfo cannot be the factor here.  But Make (and sh.exe, if you have
>  > it) can.  Which ones do you have, and what versions are they?
>
> Make is GNU Make 3.81 built for i686-pc-mingw32.

That should be good.

> and I'm running make info from XP's cmd.exe.

That's not what I meant.  If you have sh.exe somewhere on PATH, Make
will use it to run commands (although it shouldn't in this case).

>  > Also, can you show all the messages from a pair of "make info"
>  > invocations, whereby the first fails while the second succeeds?
>
> IIUC the first run with the error message does build the calc info files
> and stops after the error message.  The second run then builds the
> remaining info files.  If I now remove the calc info files and rerun
> "make info" I get the same error message again.

So it's not like it succeeds the second time, it always fails for
you.  It's just that the --force switch forces it to build the Info
manual regardless of the error.

>  > Finally, do you perhaps have MAKEINFO set in the environment?
>
> My makeinfo is in
>
> C:\Programme\Gnuwin32\bin\makeinfo.EXE
>
> and the _directory_ is in the path if it's that what you mean.  The
> executable is not.

No, I meant to ask if there's an environment variable named MAKEINFO
set on your machine.  What does "set MAKEINFO" display if you type it
from cmd and hit Enter?

Also, do you see the same error message if you touch faq.texi and then
run "make info"?