Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:04:46 -0400

> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:18:33 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Now how can configure have created a bad makefile yesterday and a good
> one today?  Do you have any idea how to resolve that mystery?

The only thing I can think of is that somehow doc/misc/makefile was
open in another program, in which case Windows will not let
configure.bat overwrite it.  Or something similar.  But I think in
that case configure.bat should have either asked whether to overwrite
the file or produce an error message.

IOW, I'm stumped.

> Is it possible that touching one of these files in the trunk has
> caused configure do something different?

Don't think so.  This part of configure.bat does not check for files'
existence or up-to-dateness, it blindly overwrites them.

> But I still have the bug in my branch which also contains the same bad
> makefile I sent you earlier.

And if you run configure.bat there, does the problem go away there as
well?